Earlier this month, we celebrated Alaska’s 3rd birthday. In honor of #TreatThursday I would like to share my original recipe of Alaska’s birthday cake as promised!
4 oz. The Honest Kitchen Love dog food
2 tbsp. Clear Conscience Pet Super Gravy
2 tbsp. Goat’s milk kefir
1 small sweet potato, boiled
1 tsp. Etta Says freeze-dried liver topping
4 Strawberries, halved
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine The Honest Kitchen with 1 cup of warm water. Stir until you reach a consistency of canned dog food.
- Crack an egg in the bowl and mix well.
- Stir in Clear Conscience Pet Super Gravy.
- Transfer mixture onto small cake pan.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan.
- In a small bowl, mash half of the boiled sweet potato into a puree with a fork.
- Add in kefir and stir until well combined.
- Using a butter knife, spread the mixture onto the cake evenly.
- Sprinkle Etta Says freeze-dried liver topping on top of the cake
- Line the outer rim of the cake with sliced strawberries.
- Allow the entire cake to cool before serving. Enjoy! 🙂
This recipe I present clearly is all-natural and gluten-free. No wheat, corn, soy, sugar, food coloring or preservatives. I am a control freak when it comes to what I feed my pets, so I naturally came up with my own healthy recipe for the cake.
I chose to use products from pet food brands I use and trust to simplify the process and make a cake that I knew would be appetizing to Alaska. I’m not exactly a dog pastry chef, but I know what foods make Alaska drool.
If you do not have access to the ingredients above, you may easily substitute with raw meat of choice and 1 egg. Bake accordingly and you have a simple, healthy meat loaf that comes out just like the cake! Also, feel free to sprinkle with unsweetened shredded coconut.
I allowed Alaska to indulge in only a slice before I saved the a rest in the refrigerator to add into her regular meals throughout the week. You can even feed this cake as a meal on its own in the right portions for your dog. I even filled some in Alaska’s Kong toys and froze them as a high-reward treat.
The key to homemade recipes is to be flexible and have fun! Improvise and be creative, but always do your research on what is safe and healthy for your four-leggers.
Happy baking! 🙂